Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Feeling the Love

Whenever I move to a new place there is almost always a period of loneliness.  I left a full life in New Mexico.  My kids went to preschool.  I took care of my family and home.  I ran errands.  I shopped at Costco and Target.  I played Frisbee with my dog.  I had friends that I could easily meet for lunch or at the park.  Life was easy and busy and full.  We chose to move because it would be an adventure for our family and good for my husband's career.  I am happy we are here but sometimes I sure do miss my old life.  (I also miss having high water pressure, a garbage disposal, ice, and fruit that doesn't need to be soaked in bleach water to kill the parasites but I am learning how to get by without such luxuries.)

Holidays are a big deal and celebrated in our home.  At the end of January I started getting worried that my children would be disappointed on Valentine's Day since we did not know any other children.  I worried that they would be sad to not have any cards.  Sure I could give them a card and some candy but I knew it would not meet their expectation.  Since being in preschool last year they knew how much fun it was to make cards and receive them.  Late one night I had an idea and posted it on Facebook:

I have a favor to ask: I am trying really hard to make this move as easy as possible on my kids (and so far it hasn't been easy). My kids live for holidays and with Valentine's Day coming up I fear that they will be really bummed out. They love exchanging cards with friends BUT the problem is we haven't met any kids yet. So I am wondering if anyone wants to exchange cards with my kids. You can message me your address (if you don't think I already have it) so we can make your child/children a card/s and you can send us Valentines.  You can like this and I will know you want to participate or send me a private message. A, B and C will be so thrilled! Thank you friends and family!

I went to bed hoping and praying that I would get a positive response.  Boy, oh boy, the response was incredible!  I had so many messages and comments that I was overwhelmed with gratitude.  I realized that it meant so much to me to get such a positive response from so many of my friends and family.  I had been so lonely and the outpouring of love from Puerto Rico to Las Vegas helped me to realize how blessed I am.  Some of the responses surprised me because they were from friends that I went to high school with and have not seen since.  I left Michigan for college and never moved back.  I still consider it home even though I have lived elsewhere for more years than I have lived there.  Adults without young children responded promising to send cards.  I was amazed with all the comments and messages promising to send cards.  I realized that sure, I move around a lot and it is tough, BUT I would not have so many friends - all over the world! - if I just stayed home.

Then my girls got to work making hearts.  For days they made hearts.  They enjoyed using markers, glitter, and stickers to decorate their cards.  It was great practice for them to write their names.  Unfortunately, my husband was out of the country on Valentine's Day (he has agreed to write a post all about his trip to Jordan) so we were unable to pick up our mail. BUT when we did -WOW!  It was so touching reading so many cards from children sending their love to my children.  A dear friend had her 5th grade class make cards (and rubber band bracelets) for my girls.  They were so sweet!  A lot of candy was sent, too, which my girls have LOVED.  One of my twins declared it the "best day ever!"

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all those who sent a sweet card.  Each one was greatly appreciated.  In the beginning, I reached out for my girls.  In the end, I realized that they were not the only ones feeling the love from so many friends and family; this Cairo Mommy did, too!


Hard at work


They were thrilled to have so much mail to open.


We loved the Egyptian drawings.







Each and every card has been cherished by my daughters...thank you!


4 comments:

  1. Wow that's awesome! Such sweet pictures:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the sweetest thing! I must not have seen your original post! We surely would've sent some too! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! Sorry I never get on facebook so I didn't see your request or I would have had my kids participate.

    ReplyDelete