Friday, January 24, 2014

Bomb Day

I was reading about adaptation into a new culture.  I have been in Phase One:  Initial Euphoria or "The Honeymoon."  Everything has been so new and exciting.  I think this morning I found myself thinking that "The Honeymoon" was over.  As I look at my Facebook feed and see friends back home in Michigan having yet another Snow Day, I can't help but call today for me - Bomb Day.  We couldn't go to church due to the car bombs that were detonated between here and there.  Of course we are going to be safe and not go near the areas where there were bombs.  These bombings come on the eve of the anniversary of the start of the 2011 uprising that toppled Egypt’s longtime ruler Hosni Mubarak.  If you want to read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-25874370  I sure hope and pray that the fighting, protests and bombs always stay far away from the location of my family and me.  So if I were still living in Michigan I would stay warm and cozy indoors; here I will stay safe and sound in my apartment.  Not too much different...yeah right!
Egyptian police officers and firefighters gather at the Egyptian police headquarters after a blast in downtown Cairo on Friday, Jan. 24, 2014 (Photo: AP)

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. YES it is scary but we are trying to stay safe even if it means staying indoors a lot (which is tough).

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete