Friday, January 31, 2014

Say "Cheese!" . . . NOT

You know the tourists that you will see in America that hang out of bus or car windows with their cameras taking pictures of EVERYTHING?  Well, I can relate to them except here I am better off not taking the pictures.  When I'm in the car I try to take them with my cell phone while the windows are rolled up.  But even then I have to be careful.  To say that things in Egypt are tense would be an understatement.  A young man in the northern city of Alexandria was killed by a protest mob last year.  His apparent crime was nothing more than filming the curious scene with his cell phone.  The security forces don't take kindly to being photographed, either.  The news is filled with stories these days of journalists being arrested for saying the wrong things.  So I have to be cautious.  As much as I'd like to document my new surroundings with photographs, I've been warned to limit my picture-taking to tourist spots like the Pyramids.  Seems like good advice when death and imprisonment are the possible consequences.

This new culture is so fascinating and different than my own.  I saw a family of 4, including a baby, all on just one scooter.  I saw donkeys pulling carts.  I saw a woman carrying a huge bag on her head without needing her hands for support. I have seen men holding each others hand while walking (and it's not considered romantic).  Most people do not have dryers here so clothes are hanging from apartment buildings.  Because of the ongoing civil strife, government resources aren't able to meet some of the simplest demands.  Sadly, trash is piled up in the middle of many streets.  Litter is a problem in even the nicer parts of town.  The traffic is hard core.  I saw only one traffic light between our home and church today, and it just blinks yellow.  No one seemed to regard it.  Basically, cars just flow like water - they fill any opening and let others know they are coming with an incessant honk.  Stray dogs and cats are everywhere (thank goodness for our rabies vaccinations).  The clothes are very modest and some men and most women both wear what look like me to be dresses: galabiyas for men, and abayas, hijabs and niqabs for women.  Some are bright and beautiful, while others are pure black.  Men roast sweet potatoes on roadside grills.  I always see a man carrying tons of homemade pretzels on a long stick high above his shoulders.  Another man rides his bicycle loaded with fresh pita bread stacked on both ends (kind of like this one).  I look at the people here with such interest just taking it all in.  I notice them staring at me, too.  I saw almost all of these things on my way to and from church today.  I am very impressed with my husband's driving skills.  He has mastered the art of driving like an Egyptian.  One of my daughters felt car sick by the time we arrived home.  I was happy to make it home in one piece.  So many times we escaped an accident by an inch or two.

I have yet to see the Pyramids.  I am bummed but I would rather be safe than sorry.  We haven't seen a camel yet, either.  We did drive through Tahrir Square today (I recommend watching this Oscar-nominated documentary if you have Netflix).  It was fascinating to be in such a famous and historically significant location.  M warned me again to not take any pictures.  The tanks and police were warning enough.  I hope that things will calm down here so that I can see the captivating sights and take some pictures before too long.

The girls' first day at church.




2 comments:

  1. I love the way you describe the city! Sounds scary and beautiful all at the same time. I don't know what I would do if I couldn't take pictures...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Julie. It is both scary and beautiful to me...depending on the day! It takes a lot of restraint to not take out my camera.

      Delete