Sunday, January 12, 2014

Sunday is the new Monday

My husband went back to work today.  On Sunday.  In Islam, practiced throughout the Arab world, Fridays are the major day of worship.  The weekend consists of Friday and Saturday which makes Sunday the first day of the work week.  I am still trying to figure out what day it is.  We have had colds and fevers and runny noses in our family since we arrived.  Hopefully we can make it outside of our apartment tomorrow.

I have sat out on our balcony overlooking the road in front of our apartment building observing and trying to understand how they drive.  Everyone honks their horns ALL the time.  Rather than use blinkers, sometimes they honk as they swerve around other cars.  Or they honk as they swerve around people as if to warn them that if they don't move they'll get run over.  I even watched a vehicle drive down my street repeatedly honking for no apparent reason other than to let others know he was driving.  All the honking can give one a headache.  I am still scared to death to drive here.  Our minivan is being shipped and will probably arrive in a month.  It is yet to be determined whether I will have the guts to drive.  It is not very expensive to hire drivers here.  They can drive their own cars or even your car for you...so I have options.  Where I live it is densely populated with both residential and commercial structures.  There are hotels and even a large sporting complex.  I think I can walk quite a bit but I also worry about the traffic as a pedestrian.  My housekeeper said that she is happy to go on any outings with my girls and me until we know the area and are comfortable.  She knows of the best shops and places to visit so I am looking forward to exploring the city with her.

I love trying new foods.  I told my housekeeper that I would love a traditional Egyptian dinner tonight.  I didn't know if she could pull off such a meal with what I had on hand but I was thinking from a perspective of living in the US where I would need to run to the store if I needed additional ingredients.  A little while after we spoke I heard the doorbell.  She had called for the groceries and they were promptly delivered...WOW!  I love that.  Even while living outside of Washington, DC, where I would sometimes have my groceries delivered, I would need to order one day in advance and then they would be delivered the next day.  She made Kushari which is an Egyptian dish of rice, macaroni and lentils mixed together then topped with spaghetti, chickpeas and fried onions with a tomato sauce on top.  She also breaded and fried up little hamburgers.  Everything was delicious and unique.  I have never had rice mixed with pasta but it worked really well.

Today was my first day having a housekeeper in my home full-time.  It was kind of strange to have her do all the cleaning around me.  I was so grateful and I liked it but I am not used to it.  I spent a lot of time playing with my kids which was really fun.  I have always played with them but usually house work or meal preparations will pull me away from them...but not today!

So maybe this photo doesn't look quite Food Network worthy on my Pier 1 Asian Crackle plate, but I assure you this Egyptian Kushari dish was delicious.

4 comments:

  1. I've often wondered what it would be like to have a full time housekeeper. Would I have to find other things to occupy my time? Would I spend it being an awesome, hands on mother? Not that I love housework---I kinda loathe it---but I can't deny it takes up a large amount of my existence as a (mostly) stay at home mother. If you're not working, not shopping, not cleaning, not cooking, well, what, what else are you expected to do? I think I would struggle with that a little. Not a lot, but maybe a little?

    (This is Heather O., by the way. Not sure why the comment is coming up anonymous.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather, I could not get used to full time help. It was uncomfortable to have someone in my home doing all the cleaning and some of the cooking. I enjoyed it to a certain extent but I also felt lazy. I thought that having her go part time would be better but in the end as crazy as it sounds...I am happy to have my privacy and (unfortunately) dirty bathrooms all to myself.

      Delete
  2. Having full-time help is an adjustment for me. It's strange to have someone in my home that is doing so much to help my children and me. A friend that has had help in the past said that it is much harder getting used to not having help after having it than getting used to having it in the first place. ;) I guess I will have time to work on some of my hobbies or even read a book.

    ReplyDelete