Friday, January 17, 2014

Date Night on the Nile

Since Sunday is our Monday, then Thursday is our Friday.  We had a wonderful date night.  We went to a popular, chic restaurant called Sequoia, a superb dining experience (http://www.sequoiaonline.net/gallery.html).  It is located on the northern tip of Zamalek, an upscale island in the middle of the Nile River.  We sat on plush cushions on over-sized chairs on top of wood paneled flooring with fire-lit heaters that provide warmth and light. There were no walls (they did have transparent plastic curtains to close if someone near the outside edge was cold) and a canopy overhead.  Since we were technically outside, the smell of cigarette smoke was not a problem.  People here seem to smoke shisha (hookah) in restaurants as much as they do cigarettes.  They have employees devoted to getting people set up to smoke, testing to make sure it works and then to keep the coals coming.  It is such a different culture to see multiple bongs at each table.  They mix the tobacco with incense.  To be completely honest, depending on the incense, it can have a sweet, pleasant smell.  That is saying a lot from someone who gets a headache from cigarette smoke and does not like the smoke from burning incense.  Even one of my daughters asked me what the "gorgeous smell" was the last time we were out to eat as a family.  The food was unique.  According to their menu, "Sequoia's culinary concept combines a fusion of Mediterranean cuisines into one dining experience."  We ordered the vine leaves for an appetizer.  It was a mixture of rice and spices wrapped in a grape leaf.  I loved their yogurt dip.  The homemade pita bread is amazing.  Locally it's called ayesh or eesh baladi.    Many restaurants (and you can find it on the street) have an outdoor oven where they have a woman that makes the bread.  They pull it out of the oven and then deliver it to your table.  They look like bubbles since the inside is still full of air.  My only complaint is that they did not have butter.  When I asked for butter my server told me they do not have butter but they do have ketchup.  Good to know.  My husband ordered the Fatta Shawerma with Beef.  Basically it was a rice bowl topped with meat.  It was absolutely delicious.  I really like the spices here.  I had the grilled chicken with vegetables.  I should have asked if it came with rice (never assume) because it was served with french fries so I ordered the ketchup.  It was cooked perfectly but not quite as flavorful as M's dish.  In Cairo they have what is called "minimum charge" restaurants.  There is a sign out front (or they tell you when you call to make a reservation) informing you that regardless of how much you spend you will be charged at least their minimum per person.  I think it is annoying but if you want to eat at the restaurant then you have to pay for it.  Since we were trying to reach our minimum charge we both had to get dessert...such a sacrifice.  I ordered the chocolate fondue with strawberries and brownie chunks.  I wasn't impressed.  It was OK.  I had to ask the server to provide the candle to heat up the chocolate.  Then it took so long to get warm that I ate most of it cold.  M ordered the Creme Caramel which we were thinking would be crème brûlée but really it was flan.  It was delicious (well, except for the fact that it was served to him with 5 mosquitoes sticking to it; so they took that one away and brought a new one wrapped in plastic wrap to show that they covered it until it got to our table).  I then wondered if those mosquitoes carried the West Nile virus since I was, well, actually sitting on the Nile River!  I should look into this question.  In spite of thinking about the virus it was a fun dining experience.  Since we were sitting on the river we could see multiple boats float by.  They are a long, flat boat called a felucca.  The modern ones are motorized and decked out with neon lights and blaring music.  We had to giggle at the boat that floated by blasting rap music filled with F-bombs.  Was it rented by a party crew from Compton or were the passengers ignorant to the true meaning of the lyrics?  Funny.  There are lots of restaurants to try but I plan to eat at Sequoia again.  Next time I want to go when it is still light out or when the sun is setting on the Nile.  I am really enjoying this new culture and amazed and grateful that I can have such an experience.
Typical Shisha
Cold chocolate fondue

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are adjusting well. Who watched your children on your date night?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some things are easy to adjust to others not so much. Today I miss being able to hop in my minivan and drive to church. My husband and daughter were sick making it so my other girls and I couldn't go. My housekeeper watched our girls while we went to dinner...she is fabulous.

      Delete
  2. Wow and very interesting! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So fun! Date night on the Nile river sounds glamorous:) I hope your'e doing great. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who watched the kids? Trying all the new food sounds so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our housekeeper watched our girls for this date and when we went to the pyramids since it was a guided group tour that we feared would be too long for them. She is wonderful. I have loved all the new food. You should come visit! I think you would love it too.

      Delete